Design strategy at athenahealth
As Experience Lead within Orders and Results, I partner with the Engineering and Product Leads to help shape the design vision for several core workflows within the Clinicals EHR product, while managing a small but mighty team of product designers. I also spent a year working as the zone lead for Claims Readiness, where I focused on pre-claim activities for the company's Collector product.
- Worked with Product Manager and Product Analytics partners to help define and communicate product strategy for Claims Readiness workflows within the core Ambulatory product. Combined foundational research with product analytics and design thinking activities (service blueprints, problem statements) to help frame potential opportunities. The resulting North Star vision document helped lay a foundation for the product's long-term strategy.
- Conducted foundational research into core Hospital Claims Readiness activities—finding visits to code, reviewing chart documents, resolving documentation issues and completing charge review/coding—and used the insights to help Product and Engineering leads frame product strategy across 5 user-centric outcome statements that mapped directly to key user pain points.
- Worked with a design lead from the Hospital Clinicals product to map the end-to-end process of ordering, dispensing and billing for medications. The resulting research led to adjustments in the Clinicals roadmap to address critical user pain points that impacted both clinician and revenue cycle users.
- Created documentation and templates for several of the Design organization's experience measurement and definition tools to accelerate user research activities across athenahealth. Contribute regularly to athenahealth Design’s Medium publication.
- Led an initiative within the Collector product to define a strategy for identifying, cataloging, and addressing UX debt, and socialized it throughout the R&D organization. Worked with another designer to create customized JIRA dashboards for tracking UX Debt issues.
- Conducted a persona character sheet workshop to create a standardized set of persona archetypes for use across Collector Design.