Design strategy at athenahealth
As UX Zone Lead within Claims Readiness, I partner with the Engineering and Product Leads to understand the needs of our revenue cycle clients, and help shape the design vision for several core workflows within the Collector product.
- Conducted foundational research into core Hospital Claims Readiness activities—finding visits to code, reviewing chart documents, resolving documentation issues and completing charge review/coding—and used the insights to help Product and Engineering leads frame product strategy across 5 user-centric outcome statements that mapped directly to key user pain points.
- Working with Product Manager and Product Analytics partners to help define and communicate product strategy for Claims Readiness workflows within the core Ambulatory product. Combined foundational research with product analytics and design thinking activities (service blueprints, problem statements) to help frame potential opportunities.
- Worked with a design lead from the Hospital Clinicals product to map the end-to-end process of ordering, dispensing and billing for medications. The resulting research led to adjustments in the Clinicals roadmap to address critical user pain points that impacted both clinician and revenue cycle users.
- Created documentation and templates for several of the Design organization's experience measurement and definition tools to accelerate user research activities across athenahealth. Contribute regularly to athenahealth Design’s Medium publication.
- Led an initiative within the Collector product to define a strategy for identifying, cataloging, and addressing UX debt, and socialized it throughout the R&D organization. Worked with another designer to create customized JIRA dashboards for tracking UX Debt issues.
- Conducted a persona character sheet workshop to create a standardized set of persona archetypes for use across Collector Design.
← View all work
Mapping the end-to-end medication workflow
I worked with designers from athenaClinicals to understand the end-to-end trip a medication takes, from ordering to administration to billing. Insights from the exercise led to shifts in the product roadmap that will improve the experience on both ends of the experience.
Unpacking DNFB for small hospital clients
Using a variety of research and design thinking methods, I worked with our teams to frame key design problems. I also facilitated planning discussions and created a series of artifacts that helped shape the zone's understanding of our users.
Creating context and mindset-driven personas
I worked with our scrum designers to move away from narrow role-driven personas to a mindset-driven model that worked across roles and jobs to be done.
Establishing a strategy for tackling UX Debt
Working alongside the development teams and other UX leads, I helped create and socialize a new strategy for cataloguing and addressing Design Debt across the Collector product.